Monday, December 3, 2012

Big Band Tuesday #2 - Tuxedo Junction by the Glenn Miller Orchestra

Hi y'all! Well, here's the second of what hopes to be a ton of installments for Big Band Tuesday here at NBABOH!

THIS edition deals with a song that is pretty familiar to me... Tuxedo Junction, which was written by Erskine Hawkins and performed by the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

NOW, why is this one so familiar? Well...because on most days I drive home from work, I go right by the place that inspired the song, in the Ensley neighborhood of Birmingham, Alabama (which is not far at all from where Baby Huey spent his formative years)...there's even a 'historical commission plaque' right on the corner which I need to read one day... unfortunately the neighborhood is a bit on the sketchy side, so I might need to just take a pic and roll on...

ANYWAY, another cool aspect of this tune (for me) is that my lowly alma mater, UAB, plays it at football games...which I think is quite cool to hear, although I know 90% or more of the folks there have little or no idea why they are playing it... I try to explain it, but to no avail...

SO, with all of that, here is...Tuxedo Junction...which, all personal Huey-isms aside, is a classic jazz - big band tune which is VERY worthy of the slot allotted here...

...well, hope y'all are digging this feature...even tho y'all can just jump on YouTube and grab them for yourselves, hopefully I can add my thoughts to make it a bit more interesting, and also gather yours...so please reply! Tell your friends!!! RELEASE THE KRACKEN!!! ...or the Huey, anyway...

Until then,

Later...

Hu
---

No comments:

Post a Comment